Taking you writing from a hobby to a career is not just about knowing the right people in the right places – although that is a HUGE benefit. It is about being known for your knowing in certain areas. When people in the know think about Twitter – they think Mark Collier. When people in the know think publishing – they think Rachelle Gardner. When you think of a certain topic, someone or some company pops into your thoughts because they have become established as an expert in that field.
I am an expert.
I know everything – or at least I know everything about the little bit that I know. And I know more than you – or at least I know more about something than you know about something.
You are an expert.
Each person has a unique set of experiences, education, talent, and gifts that makes that person an expert in that area. But each person also has the ability and opportunity to go out to experience and learn more that will allow that expertise to expand and grow.
Building Your Expertise
– Share your passion. Find the things that you truly love and share those. I can have the information on a topic, but if I am not passionate about that topic I will not stand out in the crowd.
– Continue learning on the topic. I can be passionate about a topic, but that topic is changing and growing with or without me. It is only when I continue to expand my information and experience base that I can continue to stand above the rest of the crowd.
– Reach out to others. Visit other websites and groups that are talking about your passion (or near your passion). Comment, share, and connect – just for the sake of connecting. The more people see you around, the more you will begin to stand out in that area.
– Speak up and speak out. Offer to speak at events or to lead events that focus on your passion or that relate to that passion. The more you speak the more you will grow in confidence, knowledge, and recognition.
– Keep on going. Keep on connecting. Keep on sharing. Keep on connecting. Keep on speaking. The more that you do the more people will begin to think of you when they think of your passion topic.
Growing a writing career, blogging career, or any business IS a marathon. You have to keep building and stepping if you are going to get there. Developing a position as an expert can be a vital component to standing out in the crowded field, and it can provide you with another block for taking your hobby to a living wage.
Remember: You already know more about your passion than some other people and that makes you an expert.
About the Author:
Kathryn Lang offers a phrase of hope through her columns, articles, books and workshops to shine the Light on the moment. Her personal hope is that every person who encounters her words will feel as if those words were written (or spoken) just for her. She speaks at women’s conferences, professional organizations and schools on finding purpose, being encouraged, pursuing writing, and growing relationships.
Connect with Kathryn: Website| Facebook | Twitter | Google + | LinkedIn
Check back next week for the second segment of this great series!